One objective of the Monroe PTO is to offer supplemental educational programs directed toward the students, parents and teachers and to improve the school environment in which they work and play. The Educational Staff Grant program is designed to award funds for projects, programs, and materials that enhance the school curriculum and environment at Monroe School and would not otherwise be funded through the traditional school or district budgets. In order to best serve the Monroe community and determine the needs and wants of the staff, we have created the Proposal for Grant Funding form to generate a “wish list” of opportunities.
The PTO accepts grant requests throughout the academic school year. Requests will be evaluated and awarded on a rolling basis, as funds are available. A funding form titled the Proposal for Grant Funding is used to request funding from the PTO.
- Applicants should first discuss their ideas for funding with the principal. The principal will consider how the proposal fits into the school’s short and long term objectives and if other funding sources (including the district and school budget) are available. The applicant will check a box on the Proposal for Grant Funding form, indicating that the proposal has been approved by the principal.
- Applicants will complete the Proposal for Grant Funding form online at: https://monroeschoolpto.com/proposal-for-future-funding
- Completed applications will be forwarded to the members of the Grants Committee, who will pass on their recommendation to the Executive Board, using an evaluation (to fully fund, partially fund, defer funding or to deny funding). All proposals, not fully funded by the grants program, will be reevaluated for full funding in April, at the final general PTO meeting.
- The Executive Board (consisting of the PTO Board, the principal, and a teacher representative) will vote whether to fund the grant at their monthly meetings. They will consider the input from the Grants Committee members. Grants under $1,000 can be “fast tracked,” which means that only a vote by the Executive Board is needed. Grant requests $1,000 or over require a vote at a General PTO Meeting (either regularly scheduled or a special meeting, if proposal is time sensitive).
- Grant winners will have 60 days from notification to provide all information necessary for the school to purchase their items (using the Monroe PTO Wish List Purchases Policy). Any unused grant money will be returned to the grant pool for future requests. Expenses over the approved amount will NOT be reimbursed. Please remember to include shipping costs in the proposal.
The committee will consist of interested parents and at least two PTO board members. The committee will:
- Communicate the grant process with the Monroe staff.
- Complete an evaluation for each grant application submitted within a two-week period.
- Track the proposals that are received and the proposals that are funded, to ensure that the money is distributed equitably across grade levels and disciplines.
- Seek feedback from the grant recipients to see if proposal was effective. This evaluation could lead to more spending so that the program/materials could benefit a wider range of students.
- Report back to the PTO at large. This report will include proposals that have been funded as well as the effectiveness of the programs/materials funded.
Please direct any questions to PTOGrants@monroeschoolpto.com